Thursday, January 20, 2011

Insomnia

I am home and it feels good, as always, to be surrounded by those closest to my heart, by smiles and laughter and love, endless love that only grows with time and distance. I see the twinkle in my mom's eyes as I walked through the door, the way my nephews run around my bags, re-placing me within their world, their life. I shudder in the piercing cold, so familiar, never forgotten even after five years of sunshine and sandals. I
But then, there is a longing in my heart, not too big, not too small, for another shore, another city only recently encountered. Another room, only recently turned into a home. In a night of insomniac delirium I miss a hand holding me through the night, a kiss on the cheek, a look in the eyes, a person not recently met holding so many future promises and dreams. And I understand that home is in the heart, and we hold it within us, wherever we go, always to be returned to.

No comments: